Static IP addresses
What is an IP address?
Think of an IP address as the address of your computer on the internet. It's a series of numbers that identifies your computer on the network. That way, other computers can communicate with you and you with them and then - bingo - you're on the internet.
IP addresses are either static or dynamic.
What's the difference between static and dynamic IP addresses?
A static IP address is a fixed, permanent address that is unique to you and does not change. A dynamic IP address is one that changes every time you connect to the internet.
It's not unique to you, you'll just be allocated one from a pool of IP addresses that you'll use for the duration of that particular connection.
An easy way to think of it is to imagine that your mobile phone had a dynamic number, so it changed every time you used it. You wouldn't have a problem making calls but ...how would people call you if your number changed all the time? If mobiles worked like that, you'd need a static number.
Well, it's a similar situation with your computer. If you want other computers to be able to find yours and link directly to it, you'll need a static IP address.
Why do I need a static IP address?
Do you want to...?
- Connect to your computer from wherever you are in the world
- Make it easy for other computers to find yours on the internet
- Run your own email server (and associate it with your domain name)
- Set up your own secure Virtual Private Network
- Improve your wireless security
- Run your own website and FTP server
- Run CCTV off your network
- Use off-site server duplication
If you're interested in any of these, you should be interested in a static IP address.
How can I get a static IP address?
There are two ways you can get a static IP address.
1. If you haven't got BT Business Broadband yet, just add a static IP address to your online broadband order. Prices start from just £5.50 a month.
2. If you've already got BT Business Broadband, you can add a Static IP address via the Manage services part of the site.
Business Broadband packages - Static IP prices
|1 static IP monthly (ex VAT)||£5.50||£5.50||£5.50|
|5 static IPs monthly (ex VAT)||£10.50||£5.50||£5.50|