Static IP address
What is a static IP address?
A static (or fixed) IP address is a unique number that identifies your computer when it connects to the Internet.
It's given to you by your broadband provider and can't be moved between providers.
What is a dynamic IP address?
Like a static IP address, a dynamic IP address identifies your computer when it connects to the Internet. However, unlike static IP addresses, dynamic IP addresses change so are not uniquely yours.
You'll usually be allocated a different dynamic IP address from a pool of such addresses each time you connect to the Internet.
How you can get a static IP address?
There are 2 ways to get a static IP address.
When you order business broadband package online you can add a static IP to your order from only £5 a month.
If you're already a BT Business Broadband customer, you can add a static IP address online. Just log into Your account and go to Manage products and services.Log into Your account
What are the benefits of a static IP address?
A static IP address enables you to do much more online. You can:
- connect to your PC remotely from anywhere in the world
- run your own website and FTP server
- run your own email server without downtime and associate it with a domain name
- have your computer permanently visible on the Internet so other computers can locate it
- have secure access to a Virtual Private Network (VPN)
- use off-site server duplication
- improve your wireless security
- use security applications such as CCTV
Static IP prices
|Basic Broadband||Unlimited Broadband|
|1 static IP||£5.00||£5.00|
|5 static IPs||£10.00||£5.00|